About Me

I am a certified Educator from the Living Foods Institute in Atlanta, Georgia and I'm here to share information on health and wellness. We are all on a lifepath and my path involves working each and everyday to become a more conscious eater. It is very important to know where your food is coming from and I feel it's time we get back to basics. Learning how to grow our own food, whether it is an herb box in your window or a garden in the yard, is all it takes. I will be sharing recipes as well as ideas that I feel need to be shared as I experience my raw, vegan and living foods lifestyle. Support is key, so I am here for you and I hope that I can help you on your journey. Please feel free to leave a comment or ask questions.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Sprouts and Sprouting


Sprouting is a very important area of my life.  On any given day, you will find various sprouts growing at my place.  It could be the beginning of the sprouting process over the kitchen sink, I could be eating those sprouts, or planting them. You can sprout just about anything, from legumes to grains. I will explain the sprouting process for you which is so easy a second grader can do it.  Certain sprouts are more nutritious than others even though it’s hard for me to put any particular one on a pedestal.  Broccoli sprouts and wheatgrass, for example are considered ‘superfoods’ because they contain so many nutrients that help fight cancer cells from becoming malignant.  Think of it this way… if one vegetable comes from one seed, and you eat a handful of those seeds or sprouts, you are eating a handful of that particular vegetable!  That, my friend, is a ton of good stuff.

 Try not to get frustrated when just starting out, you cannot mess this up! Don't worry, you will get it. I always find it so exciting everytime I see them grow. It's a magical experience each time and they are so tasty and jam-packed with energy because they are a living food. You will also see your role in the cycle of life, how it is so relevant and everything is all connected.  In this section I will discuss how to sprout and all the things you can do with them, maybe even a recipe or two!  First I would like to share some amazing facts and stories about sprouts.

Sprouts are living foods and living foods are essentially, whole, unprocessed, organic plant-based foods which are full of vitamins, minerals,enzymes and essential fatty acids.  Eating food that is alive promotes a healthy mind, body and soul.  To me, it makes perfect sense that when you eat things like sprouts or raw foods that haven’t been heated to lose their nutrients, you will feel more alive!  A seed is considered the "storehouse" for all the nutrients that we need to stay healthy and feel great.  The sprout is where the seed starts to multiply and develop those vitamins and minerals.


In my opinion, learning how to sprout and continuing that practice is of the utmost importance. Not only will sprouts give you more than you need with nutrition, but it jump starts the process with learning how to plant and create a garden. Place any of these little guys in some good soil and watch them grow, grow, grow! http://www.sproutpeople.org/ is a wonderful website with more information about sprouts than any human being could possibly know. Check em out! There is also a nutrional chart that may be of interest if you click here.




HOW TO SPROUT

All you need is a jar with a lid and a mesh screen for air circulation and drainage.

1. Choose what seed, bean, nut, or grain that you want to sprout.

2. Fill the bottom of the jar (about ¼ inch) with your chosen seed. Remember the sprouts will multiply when they start to grow.

3. Fill the jar half-way with filtered water, cover with the mesh screen and a rubber band. I use the ball jars that have the lids to hold the screen on. Let the seeds soak overnight or for 8-12 hours.

4. Drain the seeds and rinse with filtered water. Let them continue to drain at a 45 degree angle. This can be done by placing a rack in the sink; I usually just tilt the jars over the side of the sink but it’s important for the seeds to not sit in water. This could result in the seeds not germinating or rotting.



5. Rinse a couple times a day with filtered water and drain thoroughly; shake the water out if you feel like it. Continue this process and within a couple of days you will have sprouts! For storage, just place the lid on the jar and keep in the refrigerator.



Storing your seeds and sprouts:

Seeds can be stored for years, even centuries. I read that when King Tutankhamen’s tomb was opened they discovered kamut seeds that were stored for over 3,000 years. Guess what?! They sprouted. There are many ways to save and store your seeds. I use ball jars with the air tight lids and temperature is an important factor. You want to keep them in a cool, dry place.

Once your seeds are sprouting, you can usually keep them fresh in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks, or you can plant them and watch them grow! Happy sprouting!











Sprouted Quinoa Salad
You will need:

2 cups sprouted quinoa (white/red)
1/2 cup white/red grapes (quartered)
3 stalks of celery, finely diced
1 bunch of cilantro
1 handful of mint
1 handful of basil
1 green onion (including the whites)
1 cup of cashews (soaked for 4 hours)
1/2 fresh lime juice
2 Tbs. olive oil (first cold-pressed)

Preparation:
Soak and sprout the quinoa. Your choice for red or white, I love them both.
When quinoa is ready, stir in oil and lime juice. Let sit for an hour for flavors to absorb. Then add remaining ingredients except the cashews. In a food processor or coffee grinder, crush the nuts for a garnish on top of salad.
** For those of you who would like, feel free to steam the quinoa. It is a hit both ways!
** If you're wondering why the need to soak the cashews, I always soak my nuts because they are easier to digest :)



















No comments:

Post a Comment